Tuesday, May 1, 2007

$21.50 per class

KU is a freaking joke. Seriously, give me a time machine and let me do my college career over again, please! I guarantee that you would not find me on that campus. In my, ehh, 10 years as a student there (well, 7 if you count the years I took off, which I think we should for my own mental health) I had maybe 3 teachers that actually cared how I did in their class. I have been weeded out more times than I could count on two hands. I have gotten different advice from my advisors, sending me in different directions that I have had to spend a semester making up for. I have paid thousands of dollars to be bored, ignored, sent on wild goose chases, and jump through bureaucratic BS. JUST LET ME GRADUATE, THAT IS ALL I ASK! THEN WE WILL BE OUT OF EACH OTHER'S HAIR.

My freshman year I had an English teacher that did not like me, maybe it was because I could pass his exams and write his “challenge essay assignments” without attending class, whatever the reason he failed me. I tried to make an appointment to meet with him about my grade after I got my grade card but he wouldn’t answer his phone. I contacted the department and made an appointment to speak with one of the head office folks in the English department. I came in with my papers and exams and my calculation of my grade, an 89%. The woman told me that my teacher, his name was Vincent, had decided half way though the semester that too many people were skipping class and so he told the class that he was going to start taking off a half a letter grade for each absence. “You must have missed that day” she said. I saw Vincent on campus the following year and he ran from me...I am not kidding, he ran from me!

This semester I had a teacher berate me on an essay question on my first exam. She wrote things like “What are you talking about?” “You really should have taken genetics class before this class” (genetics is not a prerequisite for my class, by the way) and “I don’t even know what you are thinking”. But by far and away the most egregious department on the campus is the parking department. This year it cost 85 dollars a semester to park at the University of Kansas. Well, actually, it is $85.00 a semester just to be given the opportunity to look for a parking spot at the University of Kansas. $85.00 to practice your slow-driving-while-following-students-walking-through-the-parking-lot skills. Since I am only taking one class a semester I figured I would bypass the parking pass nightmare and use the meters. I figured it is $1.50 for an hour and a half, class is an hour and 15 minutes twice a week for 15 weeks that’s….$45.00, what a deal! Well, today, I got a ticket. My teacher lectured for an extra two minutes, according to the clock in her classroom. I scrambled down the hill as fast as my slippery flip-flops would carry me and I missed the parking lady by 4 cars. This is the second time this has happened to me this semester. That’s $40.00.

I should have gotten a parking sticker.

2 comments:

miss.supafly said...

Man do I feel your pain about KU and just wanting to graduate... I transferred more than six credit hours in my last 30 as a student and am now being penalized by the Journalism school for the 13 excess hours -- even though they're not required for my degree. I've met every last one of my requirements, but due to these excess hours I'm now required to make-up 13 more hours of miscellaneous course work. Do I smell someone trying to get more money out of me? Sorry for your frustrations -- you're not alone! =]

Laura said...

Miss Supafly, that is not right!

Well, I know two people that will not be contributing to the alumni fund ;)


-L