Saturday, May 5, 2007

Please confirm

I love relaying conversations I have to other people. It drives my husband nuts, and understandably so, it’s pretty boring to hear “She said this so I said that and then she said this…can you believe it?” But I have four sisters, I was raised in a house where someone was always talking, resolutions were reached by conversation and a situation was not deemed “shocking” until it was relayed and responded to by another person. I require confirmation that if a comment someone made was nuts to me, it was also, in fact, nuts to someone else. And, one must also consider my current employment situation. The people I work seem so completely insane that anyone would feel the need to purge themselves at the end of the day. So, that is where a blog becomes useful. I am hoping that my instinctive urge to verbally relive my day can be redirected to an urge to write about it. I did this for years in my super secret diary, why not on a blog? And the beauty of it is that if someone else finds my stories as mind-blowingly boring as my hubby then they can go read someone else’s blog and I will never be the wiser.
Here are a few conversations I have had today that are worth revisiting.

I told my “friend” today that I had awful car sickness this morning. She asked, “Could you be pregnant?” Before I could answer she smiled and said “do you even do that? I mean you have a kid and all….ha ha ha”. –This is not funny. Frankly, her problem is that she is 35 and has not had children because she takes horrible care of herself AND she has totally unrealistic expectations which destroy every relationship that she has ever been in. She claims to desperately want to have a family but cannot find the time. Right….I bet 10 bucks I am getting more than she is.

I told that same friend that people were giving us strange looks at the park this weekend. She told me that she would stare at him too because he has a huge bruise on his forehead and people probably think we are beating him up. I said “Not if they have a toddler…and if they are at the park you would think that if they don’t currently have a toddler that they must have had one a few years ago or they are just weirdos at the park without and kids and in that case I really couldn’t give two shits about what they think about me.” Why am I still talking to this person you may ask…well you’ll really wonder that after this story…

Same friend oh about 2 years ago Laura -"I'm pregnant!" Friend-“Well Laura now you are going to have to be prepared for the possibility that one of Henry’s friends parents is going to see that Wade is black and they are not going to want their kid to play with Henry anymore.” I said nothing. She said “I’m serious, it will happen.” “Well,” I said “I suppose if Henry had a friend with parents like that I would prefer that Henry not play with that child anyway…gotta run…bye.”

We have had many comments about our multi-racial union since the moment Wade and I started dating. They seem to grow in frequency during major milestones in our life together.

Us- “We’re getting married….” Someone else-“Well what are you going to teach your children?”

Us- "We’re having a baby….” Someone else- “Oh, he will be so cute. What are you going to teach him?”

After a while…..
Us- “We’re having a baby…and we already know what we are going to teach him.” Someone else- “Oh good, I am glad you thought of that. So, what are you going to teach him?”

Us- “Here is a picture of our baby…” Someone else-“Oh he is so pale.” Someone else-“He doesn’t look a thing like Wade.” Someone else, trying to be more subtle-“Wow look at that blond hair. I thought blue eyes were recessive. Interesting (glace and friends)”. Me-“Wade is biracial you idiot and his Dad has bright blue eyes and all his brothers are sisters had blond hair.” You can kiss it!

Us-"Wade graduated from KU" Someone else-"Good, it is important for minorities to get higher education. Are you going move now because you really should think about where you are going to move...you know what I mean?"

Us- “We’re buying a house…” Someone else- “Where are you buying it? Because you guys need to pick your neighborhood carefully…you know what I mean?”

Us (to each other)- “Let’s not tell people what we are doing anymore.” Us- “Cheers to that!”

More conversations to come…stay tuned.

2 comments:

VivifyPenelopePie said...

AMEN to all of the above. I'm not telling people what I am doing any more either! hehe...

I think the only fascinating thing about the multi-racial relationship you have is that genetics are beautiful and Henry is beautiful and I'm so glad that you two have one another because a friendship like that is hard to find. As little as I know Wade--he seems nothing but deserving of your friendship.

Oh--and people are mean without knowing it and those of us that know it are always worried about being mean or inappropriate...isn't that a pickle!

VivifyPenelopePie said...

Oh...and I always tell B about my convos...and he too finds them extremelly tiresome! Oh well...