Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I have been really hitting the world of blogging pretty hard this past week. I know, I know, I am about 2 years behind, blogs are probably on the way out now but man, I am sure enjoying my time here. I actually feel little schizophrenic about the whole thing. First I am inspired by the number of people doing creative things with their lives-well established or just getting their feet wet. It is really important for me to see that those people are out there. And to know that I am not the only one that will buy stacks of paper just because they like the color or the feel of it. Or mountains of ribbon or fabric only to lay on a table and look at. I thought I was weird to have taken photographs of stacks of fabric at the fabric store for no reason other than I liked the look of it. Was I living under a rock? Apparently! My problem is I listened to my Dad when he said “Art school? Photography class? Paper Source again? Knitting? Guess you better get used to asking “Would you like fries with that?”” It stings to admit it but I completely fell for it and moved in a totally different direction with my life (and look where it got me, in a cubical surrounded by people that make me batty 95% of the time). The hurdle for me now is to turn back on the creative faucet that I shut off 10 years ago in pursuit of more lucrative ventures (like um….working in accounting office….ew). But I have gotten off track-the other part of my schizophrenia, the slightly jealous, self-doubting and inadequate feelings that come up when I read what these other people are doing. It’s there, for sure, but I am trying to ignore it. I figure if I could ignore my creative side for 10 years I can find a way to ignore the self-doubting side as well. I am hopeful that all these creative people out there will keep up there blogs for a little while longer to continue to provide inspiration and build confidence for us behind-the-times-self-doubters. And, kudos to you on being true to yourself and taking risks. It isn’t an easy thing to do but in the end it is a truly admirable endeavor.

3 comments:

miss.supafly said...

I feel the exact same way. Eager to be creative, jealous of those who are doing what I want to be doing and excited to get out there and really do it myself.

miss.supafly said...

Oh, and can I just say that you should take a trip to Sarah's to take some pictures for your walls -- it's pure heaven. I have a pic on my desktop right now that makes me so happy to look at -- it really helps when people in the office get on my nerves.

Laura said...

What a great idea. I will try to head out there this weekend. You should post your happy fabric pic on your blog, I'd love to see it.

-L