Monday, September 17, 2007

Take this test and report back


Okay, so I try not to be preachy, in fact I probably over compensate because I don't want to make people feel uncomfortable. But the fact of the matter is that I REALLY REALLY care about our planet. And, as a person that is a mere 4 classes away from being an official ecologist, I feel it is my obligation to occasionally ask people how they are doing. I mean, I notice every week that my house is the only one in the neighborhood with the curbside recycling tubs out front on Wednesday. It's $10 a month....seriously, you could loose that on the street and not really care. You could spend that in 1 and 1/2 visits to Starbucks (but if you are in Lawrence please go to LPT instead, they are way better and local). And Henry loves to help me sort it out. He already knows where to put the paper, plastic and cans...anyway, this little game is a fun and short and EASY way to take a look at what you are doing for (and to) the planet. I know, after this description you probably won't do it. What if I said it is a super fun game about bowling Santa's or a sudoku? Just check it out, it takes 2 minutes and could be a little enlightening. Plus you get to pick your persona and your neighborhood so it is practically Sim City :) And let me know how you do, I'm curious.


If everyone lived like me it would still take 2.1 Earths to support us all...


6 comments:

VivifyPenelopePie said...

I loved that!!!

My degree is actually in sustainable design and every project I did in college was required to be 100% green! It has been too long since I've seen someone around me interested in these things...I'm telling my girlfriends...they send me green sites daily.

Ok...so I did my Lawrence self and my old Chicago self. My Lawrence self was just under 3...with a whopping 2.6, so I need to work on that. My Chicago self received a 1.5, so on my own devices I'm much more conscious. I guess it is time to clean house!

I need to get together with you.

Rediscovering ME! said...

Thanks for sharing this. It definitely opened my eyes. I will start doing this at my dad's and see if I can get everyone on board. That in itself is a chore. I will definitely be doing more when I have my own place. Thanks for the eye opener!

Laura said...

Lisa-I didn't realize your degree was in sustainable design, that is so cool. A 2.6 isn't bad, a 1.5 is awesome! I am looking forward to seeing you tomorrow and giving you a big ol' hug

Kim-I am so glad that you checked it out. Good luck at your Dad's house, it's hard to get everyone on board with those kinds of changes. Maybe Ty would think it was fun to sort (probably not but hey, it's worth a shot). Anyway, good luck and if you need any help let me know :)

-L

Unknown said...

I'm so much worse than you three - I needed 4 earths. That wasn't so surprising to me since I commute 600 miles every week on my own...guess the earth will be just as happy as me when that's done!

Laura said...

Yeah well, if I remember right you spent a lot of time on a bike or a bus when you were in Chicago..so no worries. It is just your situation right now. In no time you'll be crusing around in your hybrid....

Love

Anonymous said...

We had a very positive experience with Sunflower Curbside Recycling when we were living in Lawrence. They have an option for biweekly pickups (really all we needed) and even gave us 3 months free after Quentin was born (completely out of the blue--we were already clients and they read in the paper that we had had a baby...). I highly recommend them!