Monday, November 26, 2007

Getting off the juice

I have developed a bad habit recently: Coke Zero

Not only that but my coffee intake has tripled over the past few months. I need to get more sleep, drinking tons of caffeine is not the solution to being tired all the time. Besides, it freaks me out that I can only recognize 3 ingredients on the label (water, carmel color, and caffeine) and I have taken 2 years of chemistry, including organic chemistry (one would think that something like a beverage would not contain any inorganic (in the chemistry sense not the food production sense) ingredients, not true for Coke Zero).

I was going to wait until New Year's to cut the soda out of my diet, but the secret stash under my desk is dwindling and I think it is time.

I also was sick all weekend and drank a lot of tea which rekindled my love of tea. How did I forget about tea? Last night I sat on my sofa with my super warm and super huge sweater from my Aunt Donna (which is actually more like a blanket with sleeves and which I really wanted to hate because it is really meant for a 400 lb person and I was having trouble getting over the fact that she thought it would fit me) and a book and a cup of chamomile tea and it was wonderful. Reminded me why it is that I love winter. But I'll stop for now because I don't want to spill all the goodies I have saved up for Things That Make Me Happy Thursday.

By the way, Henry's birthday was so perfect I really couldn't have asked for more, execpt maybe no sore throat and a few more chairs. Throwing a party for your child is WAY more fun than throwing a party for yourself. I have a feeling that Christmas is going to be way more fun now that Henry is here as well. JOY: I feel it this season.

3 comments:

Me In My Tree said...

Another comment from the girl you don't know, but I cannot help it as I find that I have similar daily thoughts as you, it truly amazes me sometimes. Regarding the coke zero thing, and you probably already know this, but caffeine inhibits the body from losing weight too. I am constantly struggling to lose weight (but how I love food!), and that is one of the things I keep reading is to get off the caffeine. So just another reason to try even more to kick that habit. A book that I have that is extremely blunt and explains all of this is "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman & Kim Barnouin. It is very harsh but hilarious at the same time, and definitely pushes that being a vegan is the only way to truly be thin. I even went as far as putting labeled tabs in it with hopes that I would reference it, but unfortunately I just grabbed it from a table where it has sat since I unpacked it from my move in September. Ugh, someday I will be thin I swear! If you would like to borrow the book since I am obviously not using it I can always send it to Lisa to get to you.

Laura said...

Okay Amy…now you’re in trouble. I looked up Skinny Bitch on Amazon (I have a slight problem with online shopping) and it was only $8.00, so I ordered it…and two other books that have been sitting in my cart for a couple of months now.
But seriously, thanks for the recommendation. That book looks like it would be right up my alley. And I have a connection with the authors, being a former model and all ;)

I had no idea that caffeine slows weight loss, that is such good information to have and yet another reason for me to chug this last Coke Zero and never look back. I had my first no-caffeine headache a few weeks ago and I started to panic, I hate thinking that something like that would cause a physical reaction in my body. I think I’ll start weening myself off the coffee now so that when I put it on the Resolutions list in January it will not be so painful.

I am always glad to get comments from the girl I don't know :) One of these days, I tell you, we WILL be skinny bitches!

Laura

Me In My Tree said...

Lol oh no I've fed the monster! It only being $8 on Amazon is the same way I ended up getting it. Be forewarned, there is a lot of swearing and the author's sort of try to insult you throughout it...their way of tough love I think. I hope you like it! It is quite informative if anything.