Saturday, March 22, 2008

Granola

*Reposting note: I realized this morning that we eat this granola with vanilla soy milk (which is the super best stuff on the planet) so I omit the vanilla from the granola recipe. If you make this and use cow’s milk you may want to add a tsp or 2 of vanilla extract to the liquids before you mix it all together. Also, I have made this is honey and karo syup (I know, I know…not the healthiest stuff on the planet but I had it left over from the home made marshmallows) and it tastes great. Substituting these might be a good option if you are someone that doesn’t like the maple taste in your granola. Okay…let me know what you think and be sure to try Vanilla Silk. You will love it!


I took 2 days off this week and it has been so wonderful. My house is clean. My laundry is done and I got to break up all the things that I usually cram into a 3 hour period on Sunday and actually enjoy them.

There are 3 reasons why I love making my own granola. 1) I get to pick the ingredients, which means I can use walnuts (for omega 3), almonds, and sneak in a little flax seed. 2) There is no high fructose corn syrup. 3) It makes my house smell heavenly. (and 4...it's super easy)

Granola:
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. brown sugar
4 tbsp. ground flax seed
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 canola oil
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup dried fruit

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
In a large bowl mix oats, nuts, coconut, flax seed and brown sugar.
In a small bowl mix maple syrup, oil and salt.
Combine both mixtures and pour into 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a large bowl. Add fruit.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, I'm so trying this recipe for when the girls visit. Yum!

Laura said...

Yay! Try it with dried cranberries...yummy!
You spoiled us with your visits this week. After the girls visit we will have to come visit you and see Juicy, Evis and the bird with no name :)

-L

Laura said...

wow. i just used the word "visit" three times in 2 sentences. i think i should probably start proof reading my comments. ;)

Lisa said...

ooh I will...I love dried cranberries...I think they are my favorite.

I'm so glad my visiting you was ok. I felt silly after I walked up to your door the second time--hope she doesn't think I'm making a habit of anything--hehe...You will definitely have to come visit. This weekend I'm in Chicago, next weekend the girls are here, but I'm taking all of Friday off--so if you wanted to come before Henry's nap--that would be great. Let me know.