Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Cupcake training

I took a cupcake class tonight at the Merc.
*First let me just say that if you like to cook and you live in Lawrence and you have never taken a class at the Merc you are really missing out. This was the 4th class I have taken and they have all been great. It's really inexpensive-$10-$15 for Merc members nearly that cheap for non-members too. While we were in this class we signed up for a class in May called "Cooking with herbs from your garden". Oh, I can't wait.
*Second, I don't mean to toot my own horn but I left the cupcake class thinking that my cupcakes are better then the ones from the class. Everything she made was buttercream which is normally fine with me and her icing was so light and delicate, but it was all butter, it tasted like flavored butter. And her cakes were too dense and also too buttery. And it isn't just that my tongue has not tasted butter for a while, my friend in the class and my Mom both thought that the butter flavor was too much.
*Third, I learned how to make a fabulous raspberry icing with a so so so good chocolate cake.
*Fourth, I feel pretty confident that if I took the time to make some cupcakes I could probably sell them pretty easily. The chef said cupcakes are all the rage now, which always seems to be my luck...I feel like I have found something original and unique just before everyone else finds it and it gets played out. But I still might give it a try, I mean I live in Kansas, we are always months behind the trend.
*Fifth, I ran into my old best friend Megan at the class. It was slightly awkward as it always is when I see people I used to run with. I am just not good at the overly friendly high-pitched "Ohmygoshhowareyou?Ialwaysthinkaboutyouandmissyousomuch" stuff. While all of that may be true, I tend to lose interest in those conversations quickly. And, inevitably they lead to the "What are you doing now?" question which I totally despise because I am really not doing anything interesting. But it was good to see her and she looks really happy which made me really happy. Plus, I am fat. I hate running into people that knew me pre-baby or as I like to call it during the BSM era (before stretch marks).

Anyway, I promised Henry that we could make cupcakes this weekend since I had to miss out on bedtime tonight. I think we do a vegan version of those chocolate cupcakes with raspberry gauche. I will post a picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! I've always thought about taking those classes! --Lisa