Thursday, May 8, 2008

Anticipation

Peonies are so fantastic. Every morning I look at them and feel certain that they are going to bloom today. I think to myself- that bloom could not possibly get any bigger-and then it does. They are so full and their color peeking through the top is so bright, it just looks delicious. Seriously...I have an overwhelming urge to eat them.
My Mom never planted peonies in her garden growing up, I'm not sure why. So this is my first spring with a peony and I have already decided that next spring the walkway to our back door will be lined on both sides with peonies. Right now we have 3 bushes, I think we need 2 more on the East side and 5 on the West side of the walk way. This time next year it is going to be awesome.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just realized yesterday that the three previously unidentified bushes in front of our house are peonies. We never had them growing up either, but my grandparents did and I love them. Ours are considerably farther from blooming, but that's normal in the colder climate. I'll have to plant some at our new house when we move.

TC

Lisa said...

ooh yay! I love peonies. They have always been my favorite. My parent had an elaborately landscaped yard and the only think that was mine were the peonies. The buds just grow and grow and grow. you know they are good and ripe when the ants start scurrying about over the buds helping to open into those giant balls of blazing flowers. The hot pink ones have always been my favorite, but a vase of fluffy white peonies will light the house up and smell good for days!!! Daffodils and tulips--yes that is spring, peonies--they stimulate summer! Yum!

Oh, and it helps to buy a little metal fence to go around their mid section for support--once those blooms open up they'll start toppling over!

ENJOY! and don't forget to post when the real deal comes along!

Laura said...

Wow Lisa, in your one little comment you have answered every question that I have about peonies and addressed every observation. That's awesome! Yes, I noticed the ants earlier in the week. Good to know that they are supposed to be there. I also noticed that the buds are getting a little heavy so I will look into the fence idea. I cannot wait to have a vase full of them on my dining room table. It looks like most of them will be blooming while we are on vacation so if you are in Lawrence you should swing by and snip a few for your house. Someone needs to be enjoying them :)

Laura

Laura said...

Tracy,
Yay for your new house. Keep me posted on how that is going. So exciting!!!

Laura

Lisa said...

ooh yay! I will! When do you leave? Is this the one with the house on the beach? I'm filled with ocean envy! Don't forget the list--ride a bike a bit while you're there!