Thursday, May 22, 2008

Walnut-Basil Pesto Day 2

Pesto on sandwiches is really really great. For this I just cut up some of our favorite veggies-zucchini, yellow squash, artichokes, red bell peppers, baby portabella mushrooms, asparagus, spinach and onions-mixed them in a bowl with a little olive oil and sea salt and then cooked them in a hot cast iron skillet until they were nice and brown. Then I took a chiabatta loaf, cut it into sandwich size slices, spread some pesto on the top, filled the bottom with the veggies, put it on a cookie sheet and baked it at 300 for about 10 minutes. Just to warm it all up. After I got it out of the oven I spread some sundried tomato mayo on the bottom slice on the bread and served it up with roasted garlic couscous (from a box). To make the sundried tomato mayo just mix a cup of mayo (I like vegonase) with a few chopped up sundried tomatos and 2 small cloves of finely minced garlic and some salt and pepper. It is great on every kind of sandwich we have tried. Including Faken' Bacon BLT's...but that is a recipe for another day. I hope you try this and enjoy. It is a great way to get all your little green dots, Miss Candy :)

1 comment:

Playground Explorers said...

That looks fantastic. I wish I had one now to eat for breakfast. Too bad Matthew doesn't like zucchini (or any kind of squash), mushrooms, spinach, or asparagus... But he's been known to eat (and enjoy) a roasted veggie sandwich at a restaurant from time to time, so I'll just have to see what combination I can come up with that will work. Heck, there's no law that says you can't put broccoli on a sandwich :)