Thursday, June 21, 2007

Be sure to bring your toothbrush

I made a super rich cake for my Dad this father's day and had some left over so I sent it with my husband to work. A coworker asked for the recipe, so here it is. Enjoy.

German chocolate cake mix
1 cup of mini chocolate chips
1/2 jar of caramel topping
1/2 jar of fudge topping
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
1 package of crushed chocolate covered toffee chips
Whipped topping

Make cake as directed on box but add chocolate chips. After the cake has cooled poke holes in it with a large fork or the handle of a small fork. Pour the milk, caramel and fudge topping on top of the cake, waiting in between to allow the topping to soak into the cake. Sprinkle half of the toffee chips on top. Frost the cake with whipped topping and sprinkle on the rest of the toffee.

I have made this as a two layer round (9x9) cake and as a flat (9x13) cake and I think it actually works best as a one layer cake. Stacking it up is tasty because you get to put some of the goodies in the middle but when you poke the cake and pour in all the goodies it gets pretty crumbly so leaving it in the 9x13 pan helps it stay together. Also, the last time I made this I didn't add the sweetened condensed milk and it didn't seem to make a difference. So I would say you can omit that step (and those calories....but with this cake I would suggest not counting the calories).

2 comments:

miss.supafly said...

That cake was wicked good!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Laura said...

Anytime Supafly. I'm going to send Wade with a "It's Friday!" treat tomorrow. Have a good weekend!

-L