Thursday, June 28, 2007

In the works

So, I'm feel really stagnate lately. Not that I don't have a lot going on, or that I am even really staying still, we just bought our first house and moved, I am in school, I have a one year old so I never really get to slow down...I think it mostly stems around my job. Ugh, my job. I wish that I could find a job that combines making money and doing something creative. Although, lately I don't really feel like I am doing much to nurture my creative spirit. I feel very disconnected with that part of me. Like an old friend that you have lost contact with and keep asking everyone you know how to get a hold of her and searching for her on the Internet and you hear little snippets about her but no one really knows how you can get in touch. The only way I know that get back in touch with that part of me is to just jump right in, despite my insecurities. So, I am working on a few projects and one that I am super duper excited about is a painting for the outside of our house. When Wade graduated he was cleaning out his studio at KU and found all of these old canvases and masonite boards that people were just throwing out which is so silly because you just paint that sucker white and you have a brand new canvas. So, he picked up this enormous masonite board that has ledges on the back and is ready to be hung up, except that the painting on it looks like a smeared dinosaur turd. So, we are going to paint over it together and then hang it up outside our side door. It is the door that most people come in and out of at our house because we are on the corner so to get into our front door you have to walk all the way around the house and go through the gate. I can't wait to put that one up. The other one I am excited about is putting doors on our laundry room. Right now when you walk in our side door you are pretty much in our laundry room. I want to make some sliding door to go in front of the washer and dryer out of paper and wood frames, sort of like those Asian paper screens. I would love to do a screen print on the paper so that right when you walk it you see these lovely doors like look like art. Then there is the dining room chairs and table. My littlest sister, who happens to be very hip is going to help me pick out some fabric this weekend for those chairs and then I just need to set up my sewing machine and I'm in business. I also want to do something interesting with our house numbers but I don't really have any ideas for that yet.
So, I guess we'll see how I feel when I come out on the other side of this. If after all these projects I still feel stagnate then I suppose I will need to do some real work to figure out how to overcome this. Thanks for listening. What do you do to stay in touch with your creative side?

2 comments:

VivifyPenelopePie said...

Ok...so Laura, I have felt the same over the last few months. I mean, I surf the internet and find items I adore, I am working on our new house and all that entails, I have blank canvas's screaming for some color...but mostly I too feel artistically stagnate...and it doesn't help that Brenton's band is here practicing five nights a week to make me feel even more "corporate!"

One thought I've been exercising wa s to take ceramic classes at the art center...then I thought--why continue to do something I already know I am good at...it is like travelling to the same country multiple times when there are so many others to enjoy (I do that too hehe). So I thought I will start enrolling in one class at a time at the art center...one class on a subject I have never taken...like screen printing (which I have been dying to learn, I've only seen a brief tutorial), or painting, or even glass-blowing (although I would like to try on something less firery first) but you should do it with me. I know that your time is precious, but if we were able to find something starting later in the summer that worked with both our schedules would you be interested? Be completely honest, because I am going to do it either way! hehe, hugs

Laura said...

Let's do it. I have been wanting to learn how to screen print for months now. Then we can do a photography class or glass blowing or painting or ceramics...okay, okay...one at a time. I am sure that the summer classes have already started, let's pencil in a fall class and I'll keep you posted on times. YAY!