Thursday, July 5, 2007

Happy 4th

I love the 4th of July. I love the smell of it-fireworks, outdoor grilling and sunscreen. I love the flag cake that we eat every year. I love my memories of the 4th as a kid-grass stained knees, red white and blue outfits, sparklers, staying up late, going to pick out fireworks with my Dad and sisters, mid-afternoon snakes and parachutes, lighting a firecracker and running for my life, putting our lawn chairs in the driveway and cheering on the neighbors, listening to pops as I fell asleep...

It’s still light outside when Henry goes to bed so we didn’t do much in the way of fireworks this year. We ate flag cake and set off a few poppers. Next year is going to be more fun, I’m sure. This is one of my favorite parts of being a parent, getting to help create those special childhood memories for Henry. I want for him to be a Papa and tell his kids about the flag cake that his grandma made or shooting off fireworks with his Papa or, he may be like Wade and his favorite 4th of July memory could be shooting roman candles at his friends…whatever it is, I am just excited to be a part of it.

No comments: