Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Two thoughts

I love people that blow up stereotypes. Today in class we had a guest speaker, he was recruiting undergrads for the teaching program. Apparently there is a major shortage in the US and so KU has developed a program for undergrads to get their major degree and a teaching certificate. Anyway, so this guy looked like a football player. He was probably 6 foot 5 and weighed 300 lbs. He had a combed out fro and was covered in tattoos. He is a 7th grade math teacher. He was funny and bright and passionate about teaching and, I have to admit, by the end of his presentation I had a little crush. He is a recent KU grad but I got the impression that he does not teach in Kansas. These are the kind of people I want teaching my children because teachers do so much more than present a subject, they help build self-esteem and have a big impact on their students future. After listening to his presentation I wanted to be a teacher.

Then we had a nurse do a presentation. I started thinking about when I was pregnant and the nurses I encountered both before Henry was born and during our stay in the hospital when he was born. I love being around pregnant women, and a good nurse can totally change a pregnant Mom’s experience. Our delivery nurse, Colleen, was totally amazing. I hugged her four times in our two day stay at the hospital. Wade did too. She was awesome and after Henry was born I sent her a thank you note (I also sent our doctor a thank you note because she was also awesome). After listening to his presentation I wanted to be a nurse.

But then I love cooking and baking and cupcakes and chef school sounds like so much fun. Yikes! Will I ever figure this out? I suppose I would rather feel overwhelmed with choices then feel as though I don’t have any options….and a positive way to look at it is that either way I think I will be happy with my decision. And either way is better then what I am doing right now. Oh so much better.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I love Colleen!!! I've known her most of my life. She has to be one of the warmest people I've ever known--and apparently one of the first supporters to hear of the "potato" LOl
...and on the job front...I've thought of getting my teaching certificate in art (good to know they're open to it)

Laura said...

Colleen is amazing. That is a person that belongs in nursing, she is really great. I hope she is there when the potato arrives.

I think you would be a great art teacher...then again you would be a great lot of things. :)

-L