Thursday, November 8, 2007

Things that make me happy Thursday

Cupcakes are the most versatile food. You can dress them up or dress them down. You can bring them to a kid's birthday party or serve them at a wedding. Make um for a holiday or just for the hell of it. They are fun for grownups and kiddos. They make people happy. That is why I love them. Well, that and there is just something so very lovely about having a tiny cake in your hand that you can eat without utensils and that will most likely leave icing on your nose.
For me some days are just cupcake days...it's like people that can sense when it is going to rain, I can sense when a cupcake needs to be made. This weekend is a cupcake weekend. I am leaning towards the chocolate cake with coconut icing ones in the picture above because they are just about the most delicious cupcakes on the planet. I think this time I will add some chopped almonds on top to make them officially "Almond Joy Cupcakes". But there are other options. One of my cupcake cookbooks has a recipe for Top Hats which are chocolate cupcakes with a huge swirl of marshmallow icing on them that are dipped in a chocolate sauce that hardens as it cools...HELLO! Yup, that one is on the list. And I still need to figure out my failed red velvet recipe. Either way cupcakes and Laura will be together this weekend and if that doesn't make me happy then nothin' will.

*Side note: A couple of people have emailed me asking where I get the cupcake papers for my cupcakes. I get them here. They are called Nut and Party cups. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

When you say "failed red velvet cupcakes" do you mean instead "gorgeous red velvet cupcakes and attached photo?" Just a question?

Laura said...

Ha! Lisa, you are so funny. The picture turned out okay but the cupcakes were swishy and not very tasty.
That reminds me, I owe you some goodies. I'll get on that :)

-L

Me In My Tree said...

This is Lisa's friend Amy. I know it might be strange that I am commenting since we haven't even met, but I was just watching the Food Network and couldn't resist. There is a whole segment (or show, not sure yet) on cupcakes and I thought of you and had to post. They showed this place in Chicago and you would be rich if you opened one in Lawrence! Check it out here: http://www.chicagocupcakes.com/

And Lisa, when you get your goodies I want a full report...uuugh I love cupcakes!

Lisa said...

Hi Miss Laura-Goodies are good!!! I'm calling you Saturday!!! You're so funny. I just want to see you--I'm sorry I didn't call this past weekend...B met the Grandparents. Amy is my best pal from Chicago, you'd love her (you are very much alike)--I guess you are gaining popularity with your awesome blogs.

Laura said...

Hi Amy-
It's so cool that you thought of me when you saw the cupcake segment on Food Network! That place in Chicago looks awesome. Owning my own cupcake shop would be a dream come true for me. We'll see if I ever get the guts to go for it...I'm not much of a risk taker.

Hi Lisa-
You're so sweet.
I will email you about next weekend. Saturday might not work because Henry has a doctors appointment---we'll figure something out.

-Laura