Thursday, February 14, 2008

Heart


When my Aunt Cindy died she left all her jewelry to her nieces. She had a LOT of jewelry. Mostly costume jewelry that was as big and bright as the amazing woman that wore it. She loved holiday’s. At Christmastime I don’t think there was a piece of furniture in her house that was not adorned with something red and green. She even celebrated the summer with flamingo earrings and sunshine sandals. So, when I looked over her jewelry box I decided that I wanted to find a piece of jewlry to wear for every holiday…well, it turned out that all of my cousins (and a couple of unauthorized Aunts) had the same idea. But I was able to hang on to one gem, a red plastic heart pin. I have been wearing it on Valentines Day every year since she died. Because that is what she did. Because today is about love. Because I loved her so much. But today I decided that I don’t think I should save this pin for just February 14th anymore. I think that this red plastic heart pin actually goes with every outfit on every day. So I can be reminded to celebrate her love and her life, and my love and my life everyday. That makes me happy.

No comments: