Monday, March 24, 2008

Enough!

I am going to rant for a second and it is probably going to be over the top and sarcastic so be prepared. I am so so so so so tired of hearing about what Barak Obama’s former pastor said in the past or is saying now. Quite honestly I can’t believe we were ever talking about it and are still talking about it now. I went to Catholic school and attended a Catholic church until I was in my 20’s and the priest said all kinds of crazy shit about gay people and birth control and submitting to your husband and did the fact that I sat there mean that I agreed with what he was saying…hell no! I could have chugged down my birth control pill with the communion wine and not given two shits about it. And the fact of the matter is that that is how we all are, so people need to let it go and quit acting like Obama said it. He didn’t. And not only that but he gave an eloquent speech explaining to all of us how he felt about it and yet we are still talking about it, it’s stupid.

In addition to that the crap that is going on in the White House right now and has been going on for almost 8 years is enough to make any logical person pack up a bag and drive to Canada and the fact that we are giving any news time to something some old preacher said years ago is insane. News flash- the 4000th soldier died in Iraq today. They don’t even have a good count of the number of Iraqi people that have died…but we know that it is hundreds of thousands of people. Take a moment that think about that…..Hundreds of thousands of people......for what?..............Last year dozens of tax loops holes for rich people that were once closed were reopened by the Bush administration so that rich people could buy yachts and second and third houses without paying taxes. Reversing those tax laws would bring in 28 million dollars just in the state of California alone. But instead of doing that they are laying off firemen and closing down animal shelters...That is some shady shit! Last week one of the biggest financial institutions in the US just went bankrupt. We are in a recession. All of our jobs are going overseas. We are paying $4.00 a gallon for gas. 1 in 3 people will get cancer. Your next hamburger might be from a cloned cow (which from a biology person I can tell you is freakin scary). COME ON PEOPLE, THERE IS MORE IMPORTANT STUFF TO TALK ABOUT.

Not to mention the fact that I just can’t imagine that an intelligent person that is not a total racist redneck or just plan ignorant of what it is like for minorities in this country could argue the point anyway. If you have a male black friend that has not been pulled over for fitting a description or following around by grocery store security then you live in a Utopia, please clear out your guest room for the Kelly family. Has Hillary Clinton experienced what it is like to be a black man in America? No, she hasn’t. You can’t argue with that. Has Obama experienced what it is like to be a white woman in America? No, he hasn’t. It is not a headline, it is a fact. People like to drive by my husband and I when are walking on the street and yell stuff at us out of their trucks. Is that because I am a white woman? No it is because I am married to a black man. There is an elephant in the room, folks, and god forbid that someone actually say something about it…oh no, that will make white people uncomfortable. Poor white people, they have their feelings hurt. Let’s see…hurt feelings vs. a hundred years of enslavement followed by another 100 years of segregation and prejudice…hummm…yup, I am pretty sure that we should be mad at the black guy. COME ON! This news story is fucking twisted and I am about 1 news blip away from turning off NPR until next November. Damn!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Or how about--because no one wants to talk about it, The Harlem Renaissance is still taught as a HISTORY class rather than a humanities course with on-going cultural references...such as the fact that most of the black Americans in most areas--not just major metropolitans areas are still subscribing to the same propaganda that early Harlemites were fighting 80 plus years ago! There appears to be no growth however "PC" we want to paint things in the media with 1.5 black men on crew! I'm enraged too Laura, disgusted by the misplaced attention on such obscure details in a political running--lets just see who has more to offer in the way of change or who can be a better politician! We mock it yet we subscribe to it just the same!

Lisa said...

...just to add to your rant!

Laura said...

You are so right Lisa. Honestly, if you pay too much attention to our society you will go crazy. It is a sad state of affairs. Thanks for letting me rant about it and not clicking to a less obnoxious blog half way through the rant.

-L

Me In My Tree said...

I love you guys. I don't get to hear smart (maybe properly educated is a better choice of words?...I just don't know) people talk much down here in South FL. Most of the time the little bits that I do hear come out of people's mouths I just wish I could plug my ears and yell "lalalalala". I'm sure there are some that care and/or know better somewhere around here...but I don't know where they are hiding. I miss Chicago! And the amazing town you both live in!!

Lisa said...

who went bankrupt?

Kelly Family Blog said...

Bear Stearns. It is a little more complicated then what I wrote in my rant...but basically they went under and it is not a good thing.

-L