Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ouch

I had a “friend” chew me out the other day and it has taken me a few days to recover from the blow. I don’t feel that I did anything wrong, but I know that in every situation there is something to learn, something that I can take from it to help me be a better individual or a better friend. I think what I learned from this is to listen to my gut and act on how I am feeling sooner rather than later. This friendship should have ended long ago, the only thing we had in common was the age of our children and I knew that from the start but I felt guilty for not giving her a chance. And I felt guilty because she is a single Mom and was struggling. Now I feel guilty for not stopping it sooner to avoid hurt feelings. Another lesson, guilt is not a reason to stay in a relationship. So that is that…now I am leaning on my friends to remind me that I am not all those awful things she said to me because no matter how much confidence you have in yourself taking blow after blow from a person that speaks not in logic but in anger, can do a little damage.
On a more positive note my Week of No TV has been great. I worked on recovering our chairs last night and am almost finished with my book. I do miss The Daily Show and the Cobert Report a little, but it is worth it for the free time. Also, last night I knocked #23 off of the list. I told the story on the bean blog.

3 comments:

Playground Explorers said...

For the record, I think you are an incredible person. I especially admire the goals you set for yourself (including the simple ones) and that you are willing to challenge yourself and not just do what is easiest. Also, you are an awesome photographer and appear to be a great cook and really good at crafts. I tried the walnut-basil pesto yesterday with our home-grown basil and it was excellent!

The closing on our house is today! I'm so excited (not so much for the actual closing, but for the owning our own home part).

Laura said...

Thank you Tracy. I really really appreciate that. I was surprised by how much her comments shook me up. My friends have been so supportive and you guys have no idea how much it has helped. So thanks.
I am glad that the pesto was a success. That’s awesome!

Hurrah for closing on your house! I am so excited for you guys. I can’t wait to hear all about what you do with your new place. Congratulations!
-Laura

Me In My Tree said...

I don't even know you in person, but due to this blog and out little friend Lisa, I feel like I do.

I must say when I read that someone that was a "friend" said hurtful things to you, it made me sad and I wished I could have been there to stick up for you. I know that you have thought it through now and must know that person must was just lashing out, likely for other reasons. Still, I felt like I should put it out there what a fantastic personality you seem to have, and that woman should have been so lucky to get to spend time with you. Burned that bridge, didn't she? Silly person.