Friday, June 27, 2008

I need to rock

When we first bought our house I was so excited to have a front porch because that meant that I could have a porch swing. As long as I can remember I have wanted to have a house with a porch swing. I found one that I loved a while back but decided to look around a little more and of course it is no longer available. I found this one at Pottery Barn. The price is reasonable and it looks like good construction. I am not sure about the ropes vs. chains. I think the first one I found had chains. Also, I wanted to get an unfinished one so that I could paint it a bright color, if I buy this one I will not paint it because the finish is so nice. But I guess that is okay.

After spending a week on a porch in a rocking chair on vacation I decided that maybe I don't need a swing, maybe a couple of rocking chairs will work. They don't require that I drill into the ceiling of the porch and they take up a little less space than the swing. The problem is that the price range is so wide and apparently so is the quality. Every where I look I find people that are pleased with their rocking chairs and people that say they are crappy construction. I don't want to spend a fortune on rocking chairs, but I also don't want to have them fall apart.

I also found this little bench at Pottery Barn and kind of liked it too. The pros are that Wade can sit on it when he plays guitar unlike the rocking chairs with arms on either side. That was his main complaint about the rocking chairs. But it is the most expensive of the options (even on sale) and, well, it doesn't rock. Then while searching for swings I found this, it is a swing lounger. Basically a bed on a swing. This is probably my dream swing but it doesn't make much sense for the front porch of a little bungalow. Someday though....on the back porch of our house by the ocean...a girl can dream.
Advice? Opinions? I am leaning towards a swing because I know I can find one that is well made and not break the bank. But, those rocking chairs sure look cute and it was really nice to use them on vacation. I need help.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

My advice...hm

First off--it would be fairly simple to construct the bed-bench-swing thingy yourself. That way you could add whatever you needed to make it work for your situation (Just a thought--it would certainly save you on cost). The rocking chairs make me nervous for a couple reasons--A:I worry about people taking them. We had one on the porch on Mississippi and no one took it, but still I wondered, secondly you can't all snuggle up as a family.

I lean towards the swing. It takes less energy to rock and will provide a nice place for you and Wade to sit together to watch Henry play, or climb on board for a ride. Even if you couldn't paint the wood--you could dress it up with weather appropriate fabrics turned into great pillows!!!

My thoughts--Lisa (love you*)