Thursday, October 11, 2007

Green is great


My friend MC tagged me to list 3 ways that I live green. Well, sort of meme is right up my alley (who am I kidding, any meme is right up my alley)…so here goes-

1) Transportation- We have really been working on carpooling here in the Kelly household. We are trying to work out the kinks of having just one car with plans of selling the van and the civic next spring for something more reliable. We live so close to our jobs and are jobs are so close to each other, there really is no reason for us to have 2 cars, and honestly, so far it has been a really easy transition. Plus I hate to drive so it is good for the Earth and good for Mama.

2) Household- We recycle everything. We use energy efficient light bulbs and own energy efficient appliances. We are going to plant our first garden this spring and I am hoping to grow enough vegetables to stock up our kitchen all summer, plus some to can for the winter, and some for our friends and family {gardening tips would be greatly appreciated}. We compost our scraps and only mow our lawn when it is absolutely necessary (wait, that might have more to do with being lazy than living green) ;)

3) What we eat- Did you know that not eating meat, especially beef, is the best thing you can do for the planet? Why? Raising cattle for slaughter is a tremendous waste of water, a major contributor of pollution in our streams and rivers, plus it destroys rain forests and produces massive amounts of carbon dioxide and methane and many other things. This link is a fascinating explanation of why skipping that hamburger is so good for our planet. By not eating beef you will----
~avoid polluting our streams and rivers better than any other single recycling effort you do,
~avoid the destruction of topsoil,
~avoid the destruction of tropical forest,
~avoid the production of carbon dioxide. (Your average car produces 3 kg/day of CO2. To clear rainforest to produce beef for one hamburger produces 75 kg of CO2. Eating one pound of hamburger does the same damage as driving your car for more than three weeks);
~reduce the amount of methane gas produced;
~reduce the destruction of wildlife habitat, and
help to save endangered species.


What are you doing to live green?

3 comments:

READY2SPARK said...

Thanks for keeping my Green Challenge going! I had no idea about point #3. I've compiled the great ideas from everyone who's participated in the challenge on my blog. Although there may come a point where I just can't keep up! Please be sure to pass this on to at least 3 people on your blogroll.
Thanks again,
Lara

miss.supafly said...

I'm in love with that graphic.

Potato Pie said...

wo I'm gonna answer this this weekend