Friday, February 1, 2008

Free

Much to my parents disappointment I had to drop my classes this semester. Although I am a 30 year old woman, I still feel the sting of disappointing my parents. But, unlike the many other times that I have felt the loneliness and self-doubt brought on by my father’s silent treatment tactics, this time I feel a slight surge from the decision. Don’t get me wrong, I still cried most of the day after dropping out and I still felt a little sick to my stomach as I over-explained my reasoning to my Mom, but at the same time I know that it is the right choice. When I complain about school my Dad usually tells the story of working 3 jobs while going to grad school and raising 3 children. He sacrificed his time with his kids for education and work, a compromise that I am unwilling to make and an example of the fundamental difference in priorities between me and my father. At any rate, I feel good about the decision and am reveling in the delight of free time. Imagining watching movies with my hubbie, my toes tucked under his legs while we snuggle under the blankets. Reading a book that keeps me up way too late. Making a new cupcake recipe (I’m thinking: pumpkin cranberry cake with brown butter icing). Here are a few other things I would like to do with the next 4 months:

volunteer at an animal shelter.
paint and recover the kitchen chairs.
take a couple of cooking classes at the merc.
sew new curtains for the kitchen.
bake homemade bread.
have coffee/dinner with my friends more, without children.
annihilate debt.
successfully predict this year's college hoops champion for my own March Madness pool.
get a pedicure now and again?
make a piƱata.
make an entire meal with ingredients grown in my garden.
discover and learn about a new artist...music, painting, photography, anything really.
find or make Wade a really great gift.
exercise.
take pictures nearly every day.
go to and take everyone to the dentist (admittedly sad that this is making the list!).
keep the yard from looking trashy (harder than you think).
eat a salad every night.
plant a lilac bush and a dogwood tree.
get to a healthy weight so we can have another baby.
take a screen printing class (that means you lisa).

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I could copy most of your list to my own blog, so in fact I will--I too am going to put up what I would like to do in the next four months--I am desperately trying to find my own two feet in the world--in my daily world, not my "tomorrow" world. Living in the future is wearing me down.

Congratulations on your freedom! I'm so happy for your free time--and not all for selfish reasons either!

long time coming said...

I'm up for a pedicure whenever! Give me a call, it will be sister bonding time.

Susie said...

Let me help - pedicures march 22 or 23?
Good for you!
I will blog my "to-do's" for the next 4 months too!

Laura said...

Kel and Suz-I knew I could count on you two for peddy-partners :) Yes, March 22 or 23 would be great. I don't have any plans for that weekend so anytime will work for me.

Can't wait to see you Suz.
Kel, let's do sister bonding before the end of March. I want to check out the new Casbah sometime soon...maybe grab some coffee? Next weekend? I'll call you.

Love you guys -L

Laura said...

Lisa,
I am terrible about living in the tomorrow world also. We can support each other as we attempt to live more in the moment.

You always bring a fresh and positive perspective to my posts. I'm so glad that you keep stopping by :)

Laura

miss.supafly said...

I totally get what you're feeling, and I'm really excited for your new opportunities.